9.29.2010

The cast comes off


Here is the whole story, don't want to forget it!

Chloe was invited to a super fun birthday party. It was a food fight at a public park. I was beyond jealous that I wasn't invited. After the food fight, they had blue tarps that went down the park's hill, with the Fire Hydrant's as the water. One of the tarps had a hole, and as Chloe went down her finger got caught, and she snapped her wrist. She was a trooper and didn't complain until after the party. It was a Saturday afternoon, so off to Urgent Care we went. After a co-pay ($150), and x-rays, they decided it wasn't broken, and sent her home with a brace. Their instructions were to wear it until it doesn't hurt anymore (seriously).

Fast forward to 13 days later.

We get a phone call from urgent care, after more looking on the x-rays they have found a cyst on her ring finger, and tell us we should probably follow up on that sometime. I ask them how long it should take for her wrist to heal, because she is still wearing the brace, and it still hurts. The doctor then tells me that shouldn't be the case, and we need to follow up with our pediatrician. Now I am mad, when they discharged us they should have told us if it wasn't better by a certain date, then we need a follow-up appointment. I kept my cool, and made an appointment with the doc.

Appointment with doctor ($30), and new x-rays ($300) and a trip to an orthopedic surgeon ($60). It looks like there is a tiny fracture in her growth plate, she needs a cast. So she picks the glow in the dark one because we are going camping that night. It is pretty cool. Mimi blings it up before a party, friends autograph it, it gets stinky, etc... Luckily she only has to wear it for 3 weeks, but the appointment to get it off isn't for 4 weeks.

3 weeks have gone by, and Chloe is DONE. So Jon gets his dremmel, and his headlight, and off they go to the back yard. 20 minutes later, and Chloe is already washing her arm.

I think the funniest thing is that only 2 of my kids have ever broken a bone, and both of them broke their left wrist. Isn't that weird?

1 comment:

Karen said...

An urgetn care sent me home once with some medicine for "bowel spasm" when what I really had was an ectopic prenancy which ruptured and included a lights & sirens ride to a hospital. I'm not the biggest fan of urgent care centers after that.