3.27.2010

The Red-Heads

Some of you might know this, but my dad wrote poetry. Most of it was little funny things he would come up with during sacrament, or little notes he would leave in my room. One of my all time favorites was one he came up with during church, I leaned over and asked him to write a poem for me, this is what he sent back:

I couldn't wait to see it,
the most exciting part of life.
As I sat in the delivery room,
on a chair beside my wife.

Then at last it happened,
starting with the head.
My little girl was coming out,
with hair of crimson red.

I never will forget that day,
when I held her oh so near.
The happiest moment of my life,
when I held my Kristy dear.


Today I was cleaning out some old papers, and I came across another one, that I totally forgot about. I miss him so much it hurts, I needed to find this today...

The Red-Heads

A Mother's pride, a Father's joy,
A red-headed girl, a red-headed boy.
Such talent, such strength,
Such desire to care.
The only thing lacking,
Was someone to share.

At the dance, a fleeting glance,
Their eyes connect, a moment of chance.
Who is that person over there?
That person wearing my red hair.
I've got to know, I cannot rest,
Until we meet, I'll do my best.
With hair like that she must be great,
With hair like that he'll be first rate.

Finally, dancing arm-in-arm,
They succumb to each other's charm.
love springs deep from within the heart,
They know that they must never part.
A whirlwind, courtship, to say the least,
A wedding and a sumptuous feast.

Now sealed together for evermore,
Who knows what happiness lies in store?
Are there more red-heads on the way?
Who can say? We hope and pray.



8 comments:

Tiffany said...

Kristy, those are both so sweet. You are lucky to have a father like him.

The Hills... said...

So clever and so sweet!

Anonymous said...

I've missed him too lately. Thank you for sharing.

Amy G. said...

both beautiful and sweet. What wonderful memories you must have!

linda said...

Love it, he was so wonderful and loved you dearly!

Erika said...

Made me cry. I so wish I could have known him. But I feel like I do a little knowing your amazing family. I just love that you now have a family of red-heads. You need to frame that one.

Chloe Rose said...

I miss him too mom. Crying while reading this hah. Those are so sweet. I miss my grandpa.

Mimi said...

He never wrote me poetry. I feel so left out.