2.25.2010

Flutter

Do kids get the butterflies when they receive texts?

My favorite part of growing up, dating, falling in and out of love, was the fluttering of butterflies in my stomach. My favorite feeling in the world. Even still, every once in a while Jon will do something, or catch my eye, or remind me of long ago, and my stomach flips. I'm glad (it's been 15 years, so I should be glad it's still there).

I remember the summer before I turned 16. Jarid and I had been good friends for a long time. My dad had bought like 30 tickets to Les Miserables, and he said I could invite Jarid. I remember the 1st time my stomach flipped that night, he showed up in a crisp black button down shirt, hair combed, and clear nail polish on (instead of the black that he knew my dad wasn't crazy about). I loved that he did that. We chatted in my room while we waited for everyone else, nothing different than normal. He and I headed out in his car, it was a fun ride. He introduced me to Jethro Tull, Maggie May, we listened to the Dead. Everything was normal. I was worried he would laugh at me if I started crying during the show, but I always cry. I still cry when I listen to the music. Then he surprised me, during "A Heart Full of Love," he reached over and grabbed my hand. The world stopped. I have butterflies right now thinking about it. He didn't let go the rest of the night. I couldn't breathe all night. I was excited and worried, he was one of my best friends. We got lost on the way home, and laughed and laughed. I think he bought me an ice cream cone. The next day we went back to normal. That was what we needed, friends more than anything else. Even still that was one of the best nights of my life.

Another time was on a date at my house. We were watching a movie, and I could sense him slowly moving closer to me. My parents came home, and we had to leave to go pick up Katrina from a dance, and then I was taking him home. About 10 minutes into the drive, he put his hand on top of mine on the gear shift. I almost steered off the road. I remember Katrina's face in the rear view mirror. She was giddy for me.

As I watch Chloe growing up, I am so excited for her. I am so scared for her. Life was hard when I was a teen, I can't imagine what life is going to throw at her. I love that she talks to me here and there, and I know just enough.

So I am just wondering, in this life of IMing, Facebook, Texting, etc... Can you feel butterflies when you text?

3 comments:

Alisha said...

Definitely! It's the simplest of words that make the butterflies start. For me it was a message that said, "how do I get to your house" when I was in class. Then later it was "I miss you" and then even later (after he said it in person of course) it was "I love you." Text messages can still be true and can still supply butterflies if they are honest.

Anonymous said...

I read this forum since 2 weeks and now i have decided to register to share with you my ideas. [url=http://inglourious-seo.com]:)[/url]

Jeanette said...

I forgot to comment when I read this before. This was a great post!