5.04.2009

Manic "MOM"day


This weekend I had someone ask for my help as a mother of 5. She was looking for some tips on how to make life run a little smoother. Now I am by no means perfect at making things run smooth. But I have figured a few things out on my way, so I will post them on Manic Momdays.

Today I am going to talk about socks. Up until a few weeks ago, my feeling was that socks should be disposable. I hate matching them up, I hate pulling them out of themselves when the kids & husband pull them off hastily, and they are in a stinky little ball.

I don't have a solution for the second problem yet, but the 1st one is finally no longer a problem.

I took a Sharpie, and marked a dot on each sock, according to the owner. 1 for Chloe, 2 for Andy, 3 for Buffy, and so on... I bought each of them a sock bin to go on their dresser. At the end of the night, all I have to do is put them in piles, and drop them in the bin. They match them up themselves. I try to buy matching socks, but there are always different brands that were gifts from grandma or something, but I really don't care if they don't match. The best thing is that it is even so simple, that Jon can't say he doesn't know which socks go where! I love not having the top of my dresser covered in socks that I just pile on day after day, I love not having to search for socks on PE days for the kids.

Hopefully this helps some of you. If you have any suggestions to make it even better, please leave a note!

5 comments:

liz said...

i love this idea for mondays and i love the sock idea. this is awesome. keep it going!!!!

man there are so many tricks ahead of me to still learn. I love that I have friends like you who have been at this mom thing a while longer than myself. I enjoy benefiting from your tips.

Sheri said...

Ummm...that suggestion is awesome! so simple! so genius!

My favorite part is where is each has to match up their own socks! I'm totally doing it!

I laughed so hard when I read your comment...I saw something....

Ashley said...

I've always bought a different brand socks for each kid. Worked great for me, but Russell still had no clue. Your idea is great!

You're brilliant.

Jeanette said...

That's awesome, I make Jeremy match his own socks too. I'm like: Seriously I do ALL the laundry you can match your own socks!

Tiffany said...

A lady in my ward does this. And then when she passes the socks down to the next kid (when possible) she just has to add a dot. It is totally genius, and yet I haven't started doing it. My problem is I need to add Jason into the mix. Christian's feet are not far off from Jason's and their socks are the same. It's scary! He is 9.