6.03.2008

The Mean Mom

I'm sure you have all seen her before, that mean mom... Either at the mall, or a school function, maybe church, even McDonald's. The kind of mom that makes you feel really good about yourself. Not so much because they are abusive or anything, but they just seem mean, and uncaring.

Guess what, that was me today. I was THE mean mom.

We headed off to swim lessons, everyone was so excited, I had packed my our lunches so we could hang out afterwards and eat, then just swim once it was open to the public. We get there, and Cooper starts... Crying, like you have never seen before. Pure terror filled screams when I make him get in the water, you could hear him for miles. There was another kids like that in the class, he just turned 2 yesterday. Cooper is 4 1/2, and he likes to swim. So did I comfort and love, hell no! I sat there and pushed him in whenever it was his turn.

Honestly, I have never wanted to kill a child, and cry for a child so much at the same time. I was heartbroken, I have never heard him cry like that before, but on the other hand it just pissed me off. He was being so ridiculous! So I told him if he didn't stop, he wouldn't get a snack from the snackbar (the highlight of going to a public pool), the tears kept coming. I threatened to call his dad, tears were still there. I told him he would be grounded from the pool, still crying. 35 minutes of complete torture.

The worst part was how the moms were looking at me, like I was this cruel heartless lady. I wanted to hold him, and keep him warm and tell him he never had to go again, but if I did that, what good would it do? So now I have to look forward to tomorrow, and I pray he acts better, if not I can just kiss any chances goodbye of meeting a new friend at the pool this year...

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

I had my kids do survival swim lessons when we built our pool. Elliott was almost 1 and Liam was 3, they cried EVERYDAY. It was 6 weeks long, 5 days a week. But they did it. At the end they have to do it fully clothed, with shoes on, and my bribe for Liam was that he could wear a Halloween costume. The day he went as Spiderman was the only day he did not cry. So don't feel bad, you are only helping him in the long run.

liz said...

this was so me at a birthday party. who cries and doesn't want to go to a birthday party?! it was a nightmare- exactly what you typed out here. and i felt exactly the same way you did. the other adults looked at me like a crazy mom *torturing* my son to attend a party.

Sheri said...

That was Max last year. It took until the end of summer for him to go in the pool without freaking out. We start swim lessons again in a couple of weeks...I'm more than a little scared on what Max will do.

You're doing what's best for your kid - that isn't mean - it's "tough love".

Anonymous said...

Andy

Mom! a bad word!! Hell!?!?!?!?\
And You Teack Us Not To Say Bad Words!

PTC said...

Damn straight Andy. You tell her.

Kristy said...

I thought Andy's comment made me laugh, and then Mike made it even better!