6.24.2008

The little things

Sometimes I feel like if it's not some huge grand gesture, I just shouldn't do it. I can't just bring a few cookies from store bought dough to someone, I have to make them fresh, lots of them, and they have to be perfect. I wish I wasn't like this, but I am.

There are a few times I can think of in my life, where someone did something small for me, and it meant more than something gigantic.

4 years ago, we were on vacation to SLC for a family reunion. I was the only one from my family that went, everyone else stayed home. As always, I tried to clean my house before we left so when we got home it was clean. Of course it wasn't spotless, by any means. When we got home a week later, things seemed cleaner. Jon and I just shrugged it off, figured we had forgotten everything we had done. A few weeks later we found out that Jimmy, Amber & Cami had come over to clean our house. They just wanted to do something nice. I can still hear them laughing about the hundreds of water bottles they found underneath the girls bed. It meant more to me than they know.

When my dad died, I remember early on the morning of the funeral. We were at the viewing, with so many people. People that I knew, a few of my friends, but mostly my parents friends, older people paying their respects. Then my friend Brigham showed up, I don't know why, but it really touched me. He didn't have to be there, but it made me feel good knowing he made the effort. (I hope I haven't embarrassed him now) I don't think I've ever told him that, so now he knows.

I love it when Keith wears one of my dad's ties to church. He only does on special occasions, and everytime he kind of hesitantly waits for me to notice. I see it, and we just smile. It makes me so happy to know other people still love him, and miss him.

Late last night my mom calls, she tells me she is sending her cleaning lady over. She is only paying for 2 hours, so she can only do my kitchen and bathroom. That is more than enough, those are the spots in the house that are neglected in my pregnant state. Luckily we had our home teachers over last night, so we had already cleaned the front room, hallway and dining room. So today I have a clean house. I am thrilled. This little act means so much to me, I'm not sure if my mom even understands. This means tonight I don't have to get frustrated at Jon for not wanting to come home from work, to do my housework that I can't accomplish. I don't have to try to talk my kids into doing extra chores, it is done, and I can relax.

Anyhow, next time you are wondering what you can do for someone, think of little things. It doesn't have to be huge, even a phone call out of the blue will work. I am so grateful for the people that do little things for me, sweet e-mails, fun phone calls, movie tickets in the mail... It helps me remember how truly blessed I am.

3 comments:

Sheri said...

I'm right with you on that. It's the little things...

Mimi said...

Great post sis! Love the positive thinking, keep it up! And just so you know, cleaning your house seemed like a big deal to us. Glad you appreciated it so much. I think the water bottle count was like 26 or something just under the one bed. Love ya and glad you got a clean house today!

PSS, you forgot about sunday night with me driving all the way out to your house just to bring you some homemade ice cream. and your welcome!

Laurie M. said...

Wonderful! I love the little things that others don't thing are a big deal but they mean SO much to me!