4.28.2008

Chores...


I am very curious as to how chores work at your houses. I have been struggling with this for a few years now, trying to find the right way to enforce chores being done (with hopefully the least amount of nagging), of what chores are appropriate for what ages, etc...

For instance, I didn't start mowing the lawn until I was 15 or 16. But I also had older brothers at home up until that time. So am I a horrible parent (as my daughter says) for making my 11 year old mow? She is big enough, it's not hard, why shouldn't she do it?

I have come to hate Saturdays, because that is chore day. It is awful, tears, screaming, fighting, threats of running away, and that is just from me. You can't even imagine what the kids do... I don't want Saturdays to be like this, and I really wish my kids would learn that if they kept up throughout the week, we wouldn't even have major chores on Saturday.

So I am up for ideas, do's and dont's, what chores you have your kids do, anything! What chores did you do as a kid, did you hate them? Let's chat it up!

5 comments:

holdoug said...

I am a mean mom too...I break the child labor laws and make my kids work. Call CPS! Caleb and Austin both have been mowing the lawn for a year or so now. They all also do laundry, clean the bathroom, do dishes, vacuum, take out the trash and do a lot of other things. I think kids are different with what chores they can do. It all depends on the kid and how you want the specific chore done. They all act like they are dying sometimes when they have to do something, but I haven't lost one yet!

Sheri said...

I would love to offer you some advice, but I need help here as well.

THE POULSEN FAMILY said...

I use to beg my dad to let me mow the lawn at age 11, the next year I begged him to let me help him with putting in a sprinkler system. Don't you wish, I had been your daughter?
Your not a bad Mom for teaching them how to work hard, they will thank you later in life.

Erika said...

I'm already feeling like I need to be getting my kids to help out...with things they can do and not break. I have no advice because I don't have a clue, but I do think you are doing them a favor by expecting them to be able to do hard things, even if they don't recognize it. Good luck!

Andrea said...

Oh I am so with you on the chores Saturday ("it's the day we get ready for Sunday, we call it the get our things done day" ha ha)! If my kiddos would keep their crap off the floor during the week, then sweeping, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms, dusting & cleaning their rooms would be EASY & QUICK!! I also require my kids to put their own clean clothes away! (well except my 3yo, he needs a little help) Geesh you'd think I sent them to the torture chamber! I practically have to throw a fit to get them to do stuff sometimes (well most of the time). Some Saturdays, the kids actually surprise me by getting stuff done & fairly quickly. Don't ask me what I did differently those days..couldn't tell ya! Just wish it would happen more often. So, have they gotten any better since you wrote this post?