4.27.2007

Jon and I learned something very important a few years into our marriage. Something that saved us from divorce, this was more vexing than adultery, money, sex, anger, not folding the laundry right, not squeezing the toothpaste right, and a million other things you can probably think of. Now, you might want to get a pen & paper, this is major. Are you ready?

We both have our own blanket or sheet at night.

We started off sharing, and for the 1st few months or maybe even year ( I can't remember, it was too long ago) where you sleep all smudged together because you just can't get enough of each other, it really wasn't a big deal. Then slowly but surely things started to change, I would wake up in the middle of the night, teeth chattering, only to find my sweet husband wrapped in all the cozy warmth of our handmade extra large king size quilt his mom made us (we asked for the extra large size, and she obliged). Other nights it would be the opposite (all though I have to say he was generally the blanket stealer, I would never do something so cruel). We had agreed, or discovered, early on that we were not tuckers, I mean when I was making the bed I liked the tucked in look, but to sleep I like to get all wrapped up, and I generally like one of my feet to be hanging out (I find it helps balance my body's temperature). So one day I used the sheet, and gave him the blanket, oh what a wondrous joyous night's sleep that was, I never once woke up wanting to bring bodily harm to my husband for stealing my covers (now I still wanted to smother him because of his snoring, but that is a whole other story). Don't judge us, we still snuggle, and often (sometimes too often) I will crawl into bed to find Jon under my covers (I know what that means), but then we adjourn to our seperate sheets. It's not as harsh as seperate twin beds or seperate bedrooms, we aren't quite 1950's yet, but I could see the excitement in that too. I just had this conversation the other day with someone, I can't remember who?(if it was one of you, comment so it doesn't drive me nuts), about a couple who had seperate bedrooms, and they liked their weekly trists, it put a little excitement in their lives. Anyhow, I digress, it really is wonderful. I'm telling you people, give it a try if needed.

Oh, and by the way, we each have our own tubes of toothpaste, problem solved! He can squeeze however freaky people that grew up in Tempe might squeeze their toothpaste, but me being a Phoenix girl, I like mine squeezed from all over!

3 comments:

PTC said...

That's weird. When Jon and I were a couple, the thing we fought most about was who got to sit on the back of the motorcycle. I usually won that argument.

Kristy said...

I still get a little jealous thinking about you and your couple days with my hubby! Bringing up the motorcycle is just cruel. I would love to go back in time and see the 2 of you on a bike together! ;)

Crazymamaof6 said...

I hafta say we use separate blankets too! and i sleep with my feet out for the temp. also!I must confess I am the blanket hog! I'm Ashley's friend and I read your blog everyday! Love it!